Dunbar Methodist Church
Address: 10 Victoria Street, Dunbar, EH42 1ET
Local Authority: East Lothian
Scotland’s oldest Methodist Church, originally built in 1764. John and Charles Wesley were trustees and John often preached here. Fine interior, unexpected from plain exterior. Stained glass windows from St Giles, Edinburgh; it is not known if the windows were ever installed in St Giles, nor is it known how they ended up in Dunbar – perhaps their rejection by Edinburgh had something to do with the spelling mistake in the word ‘Ressurrection’ (sic) in one of the windows!. The original building is the eastern part, now housing the pulpit and organ. The church was enlarged in 1857 by the addition to the west, where the pews are now. The church was renovated in 1890 when the oak pulpit and stained glass was added.
Sunday: 11.00am and 7.00pm
Open by arrangement
Contact Dunbar Methodist Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.