Drumoak Church was built to a Gothic design supplied by Archibald Simpson in 1835/36. The church is a quite typical Simpson design, within a simple rectangular five-bay box. The front is enlivened with a narrower single-bay entrance projecting out to the south, punctuated with square granite corner buttresses and a central bellcote perched on the apex of the gable. Five pointed lancet windows line the walls on either side, (the final ones being blank), with a more dominant tripartite traceried window implanted centrally on the main gable. All the windows are hooded with granite mouldings and are expressed also within chamfered granite reveals, successfully contrasting against the basically rendered external walls. Clear diamond glazing outlined with a plain amber colored band is leaded directly into the window surround stonework. The interior has a plain plastered ceiling, pine-lined dado, panelled gallery front, pulpit and pews, terminating at the north end on the centrally placed pulpit and a gable dominated by three high lancet windows. The stained glass in the central window was installed in 1959. Behind the pulpit against the same wall, a small single-storey vestry extension projects externally with chamfered corners. Doric-looking columns support the internal gallery, the paired central ones suggesting that the church probably had a central aisle prior to the refurbishment carried out in 1880. The area under the gallery has been partitioned off to form a “welcome/meeting” area.
10am on 2nd, 4th and 5th Sundays of each month
Access by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.