Dornock Parish Church
Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: Church Lane, Dornock, DG12 6SU
Local Authority: Dumfries & Galloway
Traditional T-plan kirk of 1793 with round-headed windows and birdcage bellcote. Interior refurbished 1884 by James Barbour. Stained glass windows of ‘Christ the Good Shepherd’ and ‘The Agony in the Garden’ by Ballantine and Gardiner, 1893. Three richly carved ancient Hog Stones, probably 13th century, with Viking/Dane connection. There is no bell; it lies at the door of the sanctuary in Bowness-on-Solway on the English side, taken in reprisal for the theft by the Scots of the Bowness bell and its loss in the Solway.
Sunday 10.00am, in church 2nd and 4th Sundays of month, in Baxter Hall 1st, 3rd & 5th
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.