The church is prominently set in the centre of the village square, adjacent to the Memorial to Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of penicillin. Designed by Robert S Ingram and built 1887-8 in Early English style with a tower and spire 130 feet high. The sanctuary has a nave, transept, aisles and a back gallery with woodwork of pitch-pine. In the east wall is the Morton of Gowanbank Memorial stained glass window of 1958. The pulpit of carved oak is particularly handsome and incorporates the pipe organ and backed by a triple lancet stained glass window. The Forster & Andrews pipe organ installed in 1908 and has not been altered since except for the addition of an electric blower, although the original hand bellows are still functional. The British Institute of Organ Studies, designated the organ as Grade 1 Listed in 2012.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.