The origins of Dalserf congregation reach back to the early days of Presbyterianism in Scotland, the first minister Andrew Hamilton M.A. being admitted in 1593. The accommodation was substantially increased by the addition of the centre area and the galleries in 1892. The church is an oblong building of 1655, still arranged in the old way, with the pulpit in the middle of the long side. Outside stairs lead to three galleries. The bell-cote has elegantly slender cast-iron posts. Two large memorial windows on either side of pulpit are by stained-glass artist Douglas Hogg. The graveyard contains a pre-Norman hogback stone and an outstanding Covenanting memorial. Also memorial of 1753 to Rev John MacMillan, first minister of the Reformed Presbyterian Church.
Sunday 11.30 am
Open Saturdays 12noon-4.00pm nid-May to end August or by arrangement
Contact Dalserf Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.