Dalry Parish Church, St John's Town of Dalry
Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: Main Street, St John’s Town of Dalry, DG7 3UW
Local Authority: Dumfries & Galloway
Completed in 1831 to a design by William McCandlish to replace a ruinous building of 1771; probably the third church to occupy the site. Early records are scarce, but a dilapidated church, existed in 1427. T-plan church with a square tower and Gothic flourishes: pinnacles at the corners and gables. The porch was created in 1976. Traditional interior, plainly furnished. Pulpit with carved wooden canopy. Galleries on three sides. Chamber organ. The church stands near the Water of Ken with wide views of the Rhinns of Kells. Avenue of lime trees. Interesting old kirkyard with the Gordon Aisle, 1546, burial place of the Gordons of Lochinvar, memorial stone of Covenanter Alexander Gordon and several interesting 18th century headstones. Robert Burns fashioned his poem ‘Tam o’ Shanter’ on a local tale.
2nd and 4th Sundays in the month at 9.45am. 3rd Sunday at Kells. If 5th Sunday then by rotation at another Church in Glenkens.
Open by arrangement
Contact Dalry Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.