The most complete example of Romanesque architecture in Scotland. Dating from c.1130, with 17th-century additions and alterations and the tower rebuilt in 1937. Superb medieval south doorway, arch stones elaborately carved with animals, figures and grotesque heads. Above is a blind arcade of interlocking round-headed arches. Inside, the original nave, chancel and apse are preserved, with crisp carving of the chancel arch and the ribs of the chancel ceiling. Geometric designs give lightness to the solid structure and the creamy stone a warmth to the ambiance. The Rosebery Aisle was added to the north in 1671. The church was sensitively restored by Peter MacGregor Chalmers in the early 20th century. Pipe organ by Lammermuir 1984. Historic graveyard.
Open April to September, Sunday 2.00-4.30pm or key from Mrs Brown, 6 Main Street, Dalmeny
Contact Dalmeny Parish Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.