OS Reference: NS988862
Address: Kirk Street, Culross, KY12 8JB
Local Authority: Fife
Built on the site of a Celtic Christian Culdee church. Abbey founded in 1217 by Malcolm, 7th Earl of Fife; dedicated to St Mary and St Serf. Much of the original building remains, although a great deal of it is in ruins. The monks’ choir forms the present parish church, in continuous use since 1633. Modernised in 1824 and restored in 1905 by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson. Many features of interest.
Culross Abbey Church is a Destination Hub on the St Mungo Pilgrim Journey.
Open daily, summer 10.00am-dusk, winter 10.00am-4.00pm
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.