The ancient Kirk of Cruden dates back to 1012 AD. The church has stood on this site since about the time of the Reformation in 1560. The present church is probably the third on this site. The nucleus of the present church is an orthodox rectilinear structure erected in 1776, built of local pink granite and with a birdcage bellcote at the west end. The symmetrical west front with its centre gable was added in 1834, the architect was John Smith of Aberdeen. The twin conical-roofed stair towers give access to the galleries which increased the capacity. The session house (now vestry) was added in 1840. The organ chamber in the centre of the south side was built out in 1913 (when the pulpit was moved), the architect was George Bennett Mitchell of Aberdeen. The pitched pine pews were probably introduced throughout the church at this time, dado panelling was added throughout the ground floor and new half-glazed entrance doors were introduced within a glazed screen inserted to the rear of the church below the gallery. In 2002 the interior was remodelled to the rear of the ground floor of the church below the gallery to provide accommodation consisting of a kitchen and disabled WC compartment at the west, and a meeting room at the east. The work was carried out sympathetically reusing doors and glazed panels from the 1913 alterations. Cruden Parish Church is a place where generations have come both to worship and also to feel part of the fellowship of the people of God.
10.00 am on Sundays except the second-last Sunday of May.
Open by arrangement
Contact Cruden Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.