The collegiate church was built in 1449 by William Crichton, Lord Chancellor of Scotland. Fine pointed barrel vaults over choir and transepts and splendid square tower over crossing. The internal furnishings date from a restoration in 1898 by architects Hardy & White. The spectacular suite of stained glass windows are by Ballantine & Gardiner, Edinburgh. The organ was installed by Joseph Brook & Co., Glasgow. Following its acquisition from the Church of Scotland in 1994, the church has undergone further restoration work under the care of the Crichton Collegiate Church Trust. The church enjoys a magnificent position at the head of the Tyne valley close to Crichton Castle. A number of services and concerts are held throughout the year.
Open on Sundays 2.00-5.00pm from May to September, and at other times, by appointment. Telephone Henry Duncan 01875 320502. Follow the signed B6367 from the A68 at Pathhead, sat nav. EH37 5XA.
A number of services are held throughout the year.
Open Sunday 2.00-5.00pm May-September, or by appointment
Contact Crichton Collegiate Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.