Situated in one of the glens of Angus, Cortachy Church was built by the 7th Earl of Airlie, the sole heritor, in 1828 on the site of a previous church. It has a magnificent setting overlooking the River South Esk next to the gates of Cortachy Castle. It is a small church with a big presence, its exterior an elaborate Gothic Revival exercise in red sandstone with the carving lace-like against the sky. The architect was David Patterson. The gallery gives the church a seating capacity of 300, despite its small size. Inside there are memorials to the 9th and 12th Earls and against the east gable is the Burial Aisle of the Airlie family.
2nd & 4th Sunday: 10.00am April to December
Open by arrangement
Contact Cortachy Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.