Address: Colliston, DD11 3RP
Local Authority: Angus
The church was built in 1870 with coursed and tooled sandstone blocks, with simple ashlar surrounds and corner stones (quoins). The roofs are all slated. The church has a nave and side aisles, which form a T-plan.
The nave side walls have pairs of tre-foil headed windows, each with a small quatrefoil opening above. There is a small porch on the south elevation with an open, pointed-headed doorway. This gives access to the nave of the church in the south-west corner. There are small, stepped buttresses on the corner angles of the nave, gable ends and aisles.
The gable ends of the south and north aisles have pairs of trefoil-headed windows and a multi-foil round window above. The gables of the nave have an arrangement of three trefoil headed windows, the central one taller than the others. Above is a small quatre-foil window. The skew ends of the nave gables have decorative gablets. The west gable has a tall open bellcote.
The sandstone stonework of this church has suffered from weathering over the years, and some areas have been replaced with new stones or covered with coloured cement render (particularly on the west gable).
The interior of the church retains its original pews, which face the pulpit at the west end of the nave. The pews are simple and undecorated. The beams of the roof structure are exposed and supported on stone corbels on the nave walls. A wooden dado runs around the nave.
Contact Colliston Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.