The original parish kirk of Stirling, used for the coronation in 1567 of James VI, at which John Knox preached. The Church of the Holy Rude (Holy Cross) can lay claim to being the only active church in the United Kingdom, apart from Westminster Abbey, to have held a coronation.
Founded in 1129 as the parish church of Stirling but largely re-built after a fire in 1405. Open-timbered oak roof of 1414 in the nave, one of very few medieval timber roofs still surviving in Scotland. Choir and apse added in 1555, the work of John Coutts, one of the greatest master masons of the later Middle Ages. Bullet marks on the tower may date from a siege of Stirling Castle by Cromwell’s troops in 1651. From 1656 to 1936 a wall divided the nave from the choir and the church served two divided congregations. The church was restored between 1936 and 1940 under the direction of James Miller.
Notable stained glass by Adam & Small, James Ballantine, Cottier & Co, W & J J Keir, Crear McCartney and Douglas Strachan. Largest pipe organ in Scotland, built by Rushworth & Dreaper 1940 and rebuilt 1994. Oak choir stalls and canopies 1965. Historic graveyard. with splendid views towards Stirling Castle.
1st and 3rd Sunday of each month at 11.00 am
Open May to September 11.00am-4.00pm
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.