During the eighteenth century – the period of the Penal Laws – Episcopal services were held in secret places, usually in the open air and often at night. The present church was built in 1849, architect Thomas Mackenzie. It is a simple nave-and-chancel church, enlivened by an octangonal spirelet next to the porch. On the interior roof panels are depicted open Bibles, each with a text; in the Chancel is the Creed, Lord’s Prayer and Ten Commandments on a gilt background.
Sunday 10.30 am Parish Eucharist; 5th Sunday of the month by arrangement.
Key from Rectory 01542 882782
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.