Chapel of St Colm & Margaret, Melsetter, Hoy
Address: Melsetter, KW16 3NZ
Local Authority: Orkney
Originally the Episcopal chapel for Melsetter House, William Richard Lethaby’s Arts & Crafts 1900 masterwork. The chapel was his first experiment with concrete as a structural material. The theme for the chapel draws on the resonance between ship and church in the early days on Christianity (Hebrews 6:19). Stained glass by Morris, Whall and Burne-Jones. Hanging by William Morris.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.