The Tractarian, or Oxford, Movement campaigned for the reinstatement of early Christian traditions of faith and the rebuilding or adaptation of churches to suit Anglo-Catholic forms of worship. The 6th Earl of Glasgow commissioned this important Tractarian church as a theological college for the Scottish Episcopal Church.
The cathedral, college and cloister were designed by William Butterfield 1851, one of the masters of the Gothic Revival. The nave and chancel are supported by a massive tower and spire, which at 123ft is over three times the 40ft length of the nave.
The interior is remarkable for the magnificence of the furnishings. The bright and colourful tiles and stencil-work in the chancel was designed by Butterfield. Stained glass by William Wailes and Hardman.
Sunday: 11.00am Sung Eucharist; other times see notice-board in porch
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.