Carstairs Parish Church was built in 1794 and is a Grade B listed building (LB711) with some alterations being made circa 1920. It was built during the ministry of Rev James Finlayson and was described as a “new and elegant church . . . 51 feet by 32 feet within the walls, with an aisle and gallery: the side 20 feet in height, and the steeple 53 feet, and it all to be finished in proper style” Housed within the church are two carved stones – one with the crucifixion scene (15th c) and the other with swords (14th c). There is a corbel head – probably 14 / 15th century. Communion vessels, collecting boxes and communion tokens are on display in the church as well as a medieval skillet from the 14th century. 6 new windows were installed in 1957. The Hilsdon Organ was gifted in 1922 in memory of Thomas Holt Hutchison.
10.00am or 11.30am. Service times change April, August and December (for November 2018 10.00, from December 2018 11.30am)
by arrangement – Session Clerk, Mrs Ruth Campbell 01555 870441. Clerk to Board, Mrs Mabel Morris 01555 870676
Contact Carstairs Parish Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.
As a trusted partner of the National Churches Trust, we have access to a number of additional grants for projects as part of the Partnership Grants Programme. The Programme has provided over £1 million in grant funding towards repairs at churches and chapels over the last five years, and can now support some installation of facilities. Applications should be made directly to us following our usual application procedure.
15 North Bank St.
Edinburgh. EH1 2LP
0131 225 8644