Carmyllie Church was established in pre-Reformation times as a chapel of ease: St Mary’s Chapel. The chapel was erected towards the close of the 15th century by David Strachan of Carmyllie, part rebuilt in 1609 and extended in 1874 by James McLaren of Dundee.
The church contains splendid Arts & Crafts stained glass by Stephen Adam commemorating the Rev Dr Patrick Bell’s invention of the mechanical reaping machine in 1824 and later. Very good organ, thought to come from St Roque’s Chapel in Dundee. The church also contained the remains of a 17th century box pew.
Permanent exhibition of the church history and Carmyllie’s famous men.
Sunday 9.30 am.
Open by arrangement
Contact Carmyllie Kirk.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.