The village of Carlops was established in 1784 by Robert Brown, the laird of Newhall, who laid out rows of cottages on each side of the main Edinburgh to Biggar road. The simple church occupies a prominent location and forms an integral part of a long terrace of single-storey cottages. Broad-plan, gabled church with pointed and round-headed arched windows with diamond-lattice lead glazing and timber bellcote. Designed by Charles Lawson and built in 1850. New vestry with disabled access and facilities built 2003 (Fred Walker Associates). Interior refurbished 2008/09 (Tod & Taylor Architects). Chamber organ by James Bruce, c 1815, restored by Sandy Edmonstone, 2008/09. Stained glass panel by Douglas Hamilton, c1950; stained glass window by Emma Butler-Cole Aitken, 2008. Felt hanging by Jenny Mackay, 2003. Carved wooden cross by Michael Clarke, 2009.
Sunday 10.00 am.
Open by arrangement
Contact Carlops Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.