Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: , Canisbay , KW1 4YB
Local Authority: Highland
Most northerly place of worship on the Scottish mainland, the site was occupied by the Chapel of St Drostan, who headed a mission to Pictland in the 6th century. The present cruciform church is largely 17th century, but the nave incorporates walling from the medieval church and a worn 17th-century monument flanked by pairs of Corinthian pilasters. The tower at the west end was added in 1704. The John de Groat stone of 1568 stands in the vestibule.
Sunday: 12.00 noon.
Open daily 9.00am-9.00pm, Easter to end October.
Contact Canisbay Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.