Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: Bankend, DG1 4RE
Local Authority: Dumfries and Galloway
Dated 1781. T-plan church, re-roofed and renovated 1894 with piended small porch added to east and to west gables, James Barbour of Dumfries, achitect. Coursed and squared red rubble with ashlar dressings. Keystoned round-headed windows: 4-bay long south wall has wide outer bays. Door with consoled pediment and oculus above in north gable (other gables originally identical) and ball-finialed apex birdcage belfry. Lean-to in re-entrant angle. All roofed with graded slates; red ridge tiles. Galleried interior.
L-plan churchyard, rubble built walls, ball-finialed square, red ashlar gate-piers to south: gabled former hearse house: some good 17th-19th century stone monuments, including that of Robert Paterson, prototype of Sir Walter Scott’s “Old Mortality”.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.