The ruins of the medieval Kilvickeon church and its graveyard lie three miles south east of Bunessan. Some of the stone from this building was used in constructing the present church in Bunessan, built in 1804. The church is a white-harled oblong kirk with Gothick features and a slate roof.
Many people will know Bunessan as the name of the tune of Cat Stevens 1972 hit ‘Morning has broken’. It owes its name to the Gaelic poet, Mary MacDonald, who lived in Bunessan and used this tune for her hymn ‘Child in a manger’. Its thought that she didn’t write the tune, but rather used an existing Gaelic tune and named it after the place where she lived – Bunessan.
From 6th April to 26th October 2014 Sunday Services are at 2.30 pm alternating with Creich
From 2nd November 2014 to 29th March 2015 Sunday Services are at 10.30am alternating with Creich
Please check website for details
Open daily during summer months, otherwise by arrangement
Contact Bunessan Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.