Designed by Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul, Brucefield represents the best of post-war church design. It was one of a select number of commissions for the Church of Scotland which was emphatically modernist. It links to a former Free Church of 1857, now a hall.
Designed as a courtyard around an enclosed garden, the main sanctuary and connecting corridor were built between 1965 and 1966. The swept and recessed entrance provides a focus to the corner of the site.
The interior is of high quality reflecting the contemporary taste for Scandinavian design, with architect designed furniture including pews, pulpit and font. The open plan demonstrates the less hierarchical form of worship of the Liturgical Movement.
Sunday 11.00 am
Open by arrangement
Contact Brucefield Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.