A burgh church, built to serve Edinburgh’s spreading New Town. Designed in 1824 by Thomas Brown as centrepiece of Bellevue Crescent. Neo-classical style with a Corinthian portico and a tall tower which is a landmark of the eastern New Town. Graceful interior with fluted Corinthian columns supporting the gallery. Unaltered organ by Lewis, 1882, recently restored. Original pulpit. Nathaniel Bryson’s stained glass ‘Annunciation’ is of particular note. Robert Stevenson, lighthouse builder and grandfather of Robert Louis Stevenson, elder 1828-43.
Open by appointment
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.