Bothwell Parish Church

Bothwell Parish Church

Denomination:   Church of Scotland
OS Reference:   NS705586
Address:   Main Street, Bothwell, G71 8EX
Local Authority:   South Lanarkshire
Listing:   A
WEBSITE

Church Overview

Scotland’s oldest collegiate church still in use for worship, dedicated to St Bride, occupies the site of a former 6th-century church. Medieval choir of 1398. Church restored 1898 by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson. Nave and tower 1833, David Hamilton, altered 1933. Rectangular-plan Late Perpendicular Gothic church with pinnacled buttresses built in pink sandstone. Single storey castellated entrance porch in the centre and a 3-stage pinnacled tower the old and new structures. Timber pews, carved pentagonal pulpit with timber canopy and carved stone octagonal font on marble pedestal. In the chancel are wall-mounted memorials to the Duke of Hamilton (1634-1694) and the Earls of Douglas. The former was originally erected in the now demolished kirk of Hamilton, from which it was transferred in 1852. It is made from black and white marble and Caen stone and has barleysugar columns with Corinthian capitals and a deep and decorative cornice. Stained glass by Gordon Webster, Douglas Strachan and Sir Edward Burne-Jones. Fascinating tales of an outstanding royal wedding and link with Bothwell Castle. Graveyard. Throughout the centuries the beauty and peace of this historic church has inspired and uplifted millions and served our community, providing a place of worship, sanctuary, blessing and celebration. Now it needs our support to ensure it continues this service for many generations to come. Click here for more information.

Services

Sundays: 10.30am.

Opening Arrangements

Open daily June to end-August, 10.00am to 12.30pm and 2.00-4.00pm daily

 

Guide book available Access for partially abled  Induction loop for the deaf Welcomers and guides on duty by arrangement. Disabled WC refreshments

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Bothwell Parish Church

Contact this church.

15 + 4 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.