The church stands in a dominating site close to Borthwick Castle with magnificent views across the countryside. The east part of this historic church is substantially medieval with its 12th century apse and the 15th century Arniston Aisle. The west end with its tower and broach spire were added by Brown & Wardrop in 1864. Medieval fabric survivies inside as well, with the magnifient Borthwick tomb and pre-Reformation piscina. The church serves Middleton village, Borthwick and the surrounding area.
Sunday service is held in one of the three churches of the Tyne Valley Parish. Please check the website for details.
Open by arrangement
Contact Borthwick Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.