Records show that a church was consecrated on this site in 1244. The present building dates from 1809 and the architect was probably Archibald Elliot. The work was overseen by Robert Burns’ brother, Gilbert, factor of nearby Lennoxlove and a member of the Kirk Session. He and his family, including his mother, are buried in the churchyard. Externally, the church has remained unchanged since that time. The interior is plain and simple, with Carpenter’s Gothic pulpit and three Lairds’ Lofts in the gallery, which is supported by clustered iron posts. The Bolton Hearse is now in the Royal Scottish Museum, but displayed in the church porch are a grave-guard and other items designed to thwart the body snatchers, who stole newly-buried corpses to sell to Edinburgh’s Medical School.
Sundays: 11.00am, alternating with Yester and Saltoun.
Open by arrangement
Contact Bolton Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.