Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: Balmaclellan, DG7 3QE
Local Authority: Dumfries & Galloway
A harled, T-plan kirk, the body was built in 1753, with the north aisle added in 1833 by William McCandlish. The west gable has a pyramid-topped bellcote. The windows were given their present round-headed appreaance in 1886. The interior is remarkable for the timber roof, with the diagonal trusses meeting in a central pendant. The stained glass west window depicting Christ the Lord of All is dated 1928 and is by Gordon Webster. The graveyard has an early 18th-century table-stone commemorating the Covenanting martyr Robert Grierson. Statue and plaque in churchyard commemorate Sir Walter Scott’s ‘Old Mortality’, who came from Balmaclellan. Crimean war memorial in churchyard.
Sundays: 12 noon 1st Sunday of every month.
Open by arrangement
Contact Balmaclellan Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.