Stone-built hall church with simple Gothic detailing with pointed openings throughout. Designed by John Herbertson of Glasgow, in 1832; the tower and transepts were added in 1882, designed by Stewart & Wilson. The three-stage, square-plan tower at the west end has a pyramid roof with weathervane finial. The look of the interior dates from the time when the transepts were added. Tiered gallery supported cast-iron columns. Half-octogon Gothic pulpit with gabled canopy and panelled sides. Plain boarded timber pews. Pair of stained glass windows on either side of the pulpit, probably late 19th century; incorporating floral decoration within a Gothic border and biblical texts at the foot. Organ in west transept by Rushworth & Dreaper, 1951.
Open by arrangement
Contact Balfron Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.