Athelstaneford Parish Church

Athelstaneford Parish Church

Denomination:   Church of Scotland
Address:   Athelstaneford, EH39 5BE
Local Authority:   East Lothian
Listing:   B
WEBSITE

Church Overview

The original church, ‘Ecclesia de Elstaneford’, on this site is said to have been founded in 1176 by the Countess Ada, mother of William the Lion. The present church dates from 1780. Cruciform design with central aisle, transepts and semi-octagonal chancel. Bellcote on the west gable. Three stained glass windows by C E Kempe. Doocot 1583. Church has historic link with the Scottish Saltire: commemorative plaque and Saltire floodlit. Heritage Centre to rear of church opened in 1997 with audio visual display (entry free). The church also houses the Nigel Tranter exhibition. The Book Nook can be found in the red telephone box half way down the village main street. Go and have a look, leave a book you have finished with, browse, pick up another. There’s some information about the history of these telephone boxes too.

Services

Sundays: 10.00am.

Opening Arrangements

Open every day between 9 am and 6 pm in summer and 9 am and 4 pm in winter.

 

Access for partially abled  Induction loop for the deaf   Disabled WC

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Athelstaneford Parish Church

Contact Athelstaneford Parish Church.

8 + 8 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.