The original town church was near the town hall; the present church was built in 1791 and the imposing steeple, the first classical steeple in the area, was added in 1798. The cost was 602.4s.3d. The galleried interior was altered 1870. one of the congregation’s most famous sons was the theologian and millenarian Edward Irving (1792-1834) who was deposed by the Kirk Session and locked out!
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.